Thursday, November 22, 2012

33-34 weeks

33 weeks
It seems like so much has happened in the past couple weeks. Last week I finally had my 34 week ultrasound, which I expected to be my last. He measured around 6 lbs. this time! Nice progress, little man. The placenta is still sitting there, just where I left it last time. Cesarean still on! Apparently, just to make triple sure that I will definitely be placenta previa, I have yet another ultrasound scheduled for 36 weeks. This week, I had another appointment with my regular doctor and we were finally able to set the date: Baby Mostek is scheduled to arrive on December 11. For those wondering, yes, I did ask about 12-12-12, but it was not to be. That would have been awfully helpful in remembering his birthday every year, but I guess now I'll just have to plug it in the ol' iPhone and hope for the best. 

Baby Mostek face
I also had a consultation with an anesthesiologist. It was actually a really informative little chat, though I came out of it hearing what I expected: we'll try the spinal and see if it works. If not, it'll be general anesthesia. She was able to explain to me how the process works and the main challenges, and somehow that knowledge makes things easier. Basically all spinals are done by touch. They find the separation in a specific space between certain vertebrae and aim for that space. Most people are able to bend forward and create a larger separation space between those vertebrae--something that I can't do because of the rods. The rods run on both sides of my spine at that point, along with some fused bone in that space making the margin for error much smaller. This information doesn't change the outcome, but at least I know that I've done my homework. It sounds like a high possibility I'll have to be "poked" a few times before finding the spot, but I can deal with that. It would be very difficult for any doctor, so I respect that they are willing to try. In the end, both baby and I are looking healthy so these are manageable obstacles.

In much more fun news, this past weekend both of my college roommates were in town. We've always been very in sync with each other--to an almost freakish degree. It's kind of fantastic, and I love these girls like sisters. How long has it been since we all met? 14 years? That's right...14 years since our first band camp. We met in marching band at Iowa State, and all my favorite memories from college involve them. And now we're all pregnant together! I was the last to join the baby bandwagon (to no one's surprise). They're on their second pregnancy while I'm finishing my first. I think Nick hung in there like a champ for putting up with the three of us, and a huge shout out to Bob and Aaron for staying at home with the kiddos while their pregnant wives partied all weekend. Partied with Ben and Jerry, no less. And shopped for cute pregnancy clothes that wouldn't betray us in the later months as the belly grows. I'm way past cute pregnancy clothes now. I just hope for full coverage at this point.

As an homage to a photo we took before a band duct tape party, we recreated the pose. It was much more difficult this time around, but we figured it out eventually. Miss you both already!

Jes, Kristen and April: We still got it.




No comments:

Post a Comment