![]() |
| 23 weeks |
It's been a very busy and amazing week. Nick and I went home to Iowa and South Dakota to see and be seen. I think everyone got the memo that pregnant ladies like to eat. Consider this one well fed. I think Baby Mostek is a little disappointed to be going back to the same ol' menu now that we're back home.
Phase one: Ames, IA
We started our journey with family and friends in Ames with an ISU Cyclone football win against the Tulsa Hurricanes complete with tailgating and band nerd fanatics. I felt a huge sense of nostalgia for our college days even though so much has changed since Nick and I met there. Let's pretend it wasn't THAT long ago...
Our good friends Tony Hooper and Sandra Riedl were married on Labor Day weekend. Much to my own surprise, we actually stayed up past the grandparents of the bride and groom. In fact, we stayed until the lights were out. I can honestly say I laughed so hard that my face and belly hurt for a full day afterward. And, somehow pregnancy makes the "Church Lady" dance pretty easy to do (I added the thumbs). Who needs yoga after a night like that?
![]() |
| The Guys |
![]() |
In Ames we stayed with Nick's brother, John and Kristyn Mostek and family. Our three beautiful and enthusiastic nieces made sure we were entertained during our stay, and it was amazing to see how much they've grown since last we saw them. Kristyn had a lot of great advice for me, and I'm convinced she's a bit of a Supermom. No sense in denying it, Kristyn. :)
Phase two: Brandon, South Dakota
The next stop in our Midwest tour was Nick's parent's place in Brandon. We also saw Nick's sister Krista and family, so more entertainment from our nieces and nephews! Krista and I are about 4 weeks apart in pregnancy, so it was fun to swap stories and share our woes. We went shopping to narrow down the search for baby stuff, and it was enormously helpful.
Nick's family are among the most generous people I know, and we scored big time on the baby stuff. I've never been a huge fan of the "oohs" and "aahhs" at baby showers when another cute outfit is unwrapped, but I'll admit, I let a few escape as we unwrapped our gifts.
On our way to the next destination, I stopped to see my Gramma. I think as I get older, I appreciate my Gramma more and more. We are very similar in many ways, and I hope to have the same toughness and gentleness she balances so well. She made us a nice little lunch complete with scones AND peach pie. I could kill for another piece of that peach pie.
Phase three: Dike, IA
Last stop, and certainly not least: my family. We stayed with my parents and the whole crew came to visit. My brother Mark and his family, my sister Sarah and niece Rileigh, and my Uncle Tim and Aunt Michelle all came by to see us. I finally met my new nephew Logan who is now two months old. Talk about cute: wowsa. We stayed up late playing pool and laughing at our own hilariousness. I taught my niece Rileigh to crochet, complete with bubble gum pink and blue yarn. I will be proud to wear that scarf anywhere if it makes it my way.
![]() |
| My Buddy Logan |
![]() |
| Brody and new cousin-pet, Pearl |
And now a bit of mush. There wasn't a low point on this trip. Nick and I have such a great family and group of friends, the whole week was awesome and I'm so thankful for everything people did to make our day. But I must say that I was really most excited to see my mom. Being pregnant has had its highs and lows, and somehow it's been hardest to not be able to share things with her in person. It was so nice to finally have a chance to just sit and chat with her about things that are similar or different. She's a great mom, a fantastic grandmother, and I appreciate all she did for me during pregnancy and beyond. Of course I don't have any photos of her and me, but we'll save that for another day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
And now, back home, back in the swing of things. I'm about 5 lbs. heavier (I wish I was kidding) than I was at the beginning of vacation, so Baby is making great progress. I have officially moved all sleeping to the recliner in the living room because sleeping on my side might cause me to saw off my own hip bone. Fantasy football is in full swing, as is the man-tantrums and trash talk such activities include. It's going to be a fine fall season. :)








Should I tell you the girls' reaction to your pictures? ;) "Wow, she's growing!" :) So glad you (three) could stay for awhile, always fun to have you!! And too kind with the Supermom title--not deserved. We were waiting to see how the rest of the trip was. Just think, next time you may have baby along! :)
ReplyDeleteLow point of the trip: Toyota Yaris. Do not want.
ReplyDelete