Wednesday, October 3, 2012
Ultrasound and Nursery
I'm now finishing my last week of the second trimester (27th week) and gearing up for the big finish. After my ultrasound at 25 weeks, I've been pretty motivated to get this party started (well get everything READY to get this party started). From my earlier 20-week ultrasound, they diagnosed me with placenta previa with a chance it would resolve itself within the next few weeks. As it turns out, that crazy placenta is fairly stubborn and is still covering the cervix. What does that mean? Well, for now it just means I'm not allowed to do much. I've been taking it easy since about 20 weeks, but now that Baby is a bit bigger (he's about 2.5 lbs.), I have to be really careful about my daily activities. I feel really good which makes it hard to take it easy, but the other extreme is bedrest. Um, how about no.
In the long term, placenta previa means a C-section birth. I'm slowly wrapping my head around that idea. I'm actually not really afraid of surgery, or the healing process. It's really more about the fact that it would be scheduled 2-3 weeks before my due date. Let me tell you, the difference between a December 30th baby and a December 12th-ish baby is huge when you haven't done much to get anything ready. Cripes! That's right around the corner! So, I've begun the nesting process. I don't feel like I'm really "nesting" in that sweet mom sense I've seen on tv. It feels more like "get $h!t done mode." (Sorry for the necessary profanity, Mom).
Aside from that, things are going well. All reports of baby health are great, and placenta previa poses no harm to the baby. The C-section is not a done deal just yet. I have another ultrasound in a couple weeks to see if it corrects itself. I'm not really feeling like that's probable at this point, but it is a possibility. In any case, Nick is excited about that tax break looking like a done deal for this year. :)
The main highlights of progress are:
1) Getting registered. We registered online, located here. Registering is a huge undertaking of overwhelming possibilities, and I'm glad we can check it off the to-do list.
2) Acquiring a few key components for the nursery. Nick put together a dresser this weekend, we have a crib, and I sorted all of the clothes and various items we've received so far into various age-appropriate totes. I doubt I'll be able to keep up this level of organization, but it can't hurt to start out that way.
3) Choosing a daycare. It ended up being the first one we visited, but I think we both feel good about it.
I'll have a few more photos to post in a few days. Thanks for reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi April!!!
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you guys!
I had two c-sections, the first one unplanned but after a lot of laboring no go. and then the second was scheduled.
I have to say having it planned was a lot easier because there was no laboring for 36 hours before surgery!
Let me know if you have any questions (lwrieger@gmail.com) about the procedure. I mean I know there is tons of information out there and I'm sure your doctor has given you some information but I know I always wanted more :).
C'mom you silly placenta--MOVE!! ;) Hoping it decides to resolve soon. I can't imagine trying to not be active (especially since I get to chase the busiest 17 mo old on the planet). Our big u/s is in a week and a half, almost 1/2 way done already!! Just remember, baby only needs a place to eat, sleep, poop and ride. Everything else can wait. :)
ReplyDelete