Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fluttering and Fires

Fluttering: Last night I believe I felt the first confirmed flutter. I've been trying to notice any baby movements right before I fall asleep at night, and I think I was able to separate digestion feeling from baby movement. Pretty cool. It's a little sad that I can't share it with Nick just yet, but hopefully soon. Now I've noticed it a few times here and there throughout the day (especially when I type furiously at my desk while sporting terrible posture). Baby apparently needs some space--sit up, Lady! :)

Fires: All right, no need for panic. All is well in the Mostek household, but since the news has reached the Midwest, I figured I should probably address it. There was a large fire in the Chevron Refinery in Richmond (about 10 miles South of Nick and me). It was pretty scary at the time--Nick saw it while driving home and we immediately started watching the news for more info. They ordered a "shelter in place" for Richmond and the town directly north of Richmond, which just means stay home, close all doors and windows and block the crevices to outside air.

The warning was not for Pinole (our town) but we could see the smoke out our window. Not surprisingly, Nick had a softball game that evening, but the game was south of the fire and out of the danger zone. We discussed which would be better/worse for me--to stay in, or get south of the smoke. We chose to get south and recheck the status of the air quality before heading home after the game. While driving to the game, we could see the smoke cloud, though it didn't appear to be moving north at all--it was moving east. Luckily, the game was fine and by the time we headed home, the air and smoke had cleared significantly. I couldn't ever smell smoke near our house, so I think we ended up quite lucky.




No comments:

Post a Comment